Management Options

Do you have an ash tree on your private property?  If so, you should be aware that the Emerald Ash Borer has been found in Waterloo and eventually you will need to take some sort of action.  Basically there are two management options

1)EAB Control with Pesticide Application

This involves the use of chemical pesticides every 1 to 2 years and will involve some expense.  This option may be a possibility if a property owner has a specimen tree, or a tree that is located in the perfect location providing great shade during the summer months, or a tree that possibly has sentimental value to the owner. 

Iowa State Extension publication Emerald Ash Borer Management Options gives property owners the necessary information to help determine what type of chemical to use. 

It is highly recommended to request the services of an Iowa licensed applicator.  Pesticides can be harmful to those applying them and to the environment if they are not used properly.   A list of some local licensed applicators that have experience in treating trees for Emerald Ash Borer and other pests can be found by clicking HERE.

CITY OWNED TREES - If homeowners determine that they want to treat an ash tree located on the city owned right-of-way adjacent to their property, they need to get a permit from the Waterloo City Forester (call 291-4370).  The City of Waterloo will not be treating the right-of-way trees.  There are a few dozen trees that the City will be treating that are located in the parks and golf courses.  These trees are in strategic locations on the golf courses and are considered to offer great value in some of the parks.


2)Tree Removal

This option may be a possibility if a property owner has a tree that is already infested with EAB, or it is just not that healthy, or it has some structural issues, or it is planted in a poor site and not important to the landscape.

It is highly recommended to request the services of a professional tree service if tree removal is the chosen option.  Make sure that these tree services are licensed with the City of Waterloo and insured.  Ask to see their laminated license that is issued each year by Leisure Services and ask to see a copy of their certificate of insurance.  Do not hire them for their services if they cannot produce these credentials.  A list of licensed tree services in Waterloo can by seen by clicking HERE.